Vision Australia, in collaboration with the Empowering Youth Initiative (EYI), launched an exciting national employment skills program for youth, Building Stronger Futures in September 2017. The initiative has delivered services to 99 vision impaired and blind individuals between the ages of 15 and 24, in various areas of Queensland, Victoria and New South Wales. The program concluded in March 2019.
The program involved a face-to-face interactive skills development program, followed by job seeking and problem solving assistance for six months. During this time, participants received:
- Advice on career pathways and job seeking techniques
- Cover letter and resume writing advice
- Addressing employment issues specific to vision impairment
- Interview skills development and coaching
- Networking and matching your skills to an employer’s needs
Vision Australia is thankful to Empowering Youth Initiatives (EYI), and all those who supported this program.
We hope in the future to run more programs focused on pre-employment Skills.