PDF files have various uses, from producing annual reports to brochureware, ebooks, and many more. This training will help ensure your PDF documents are accessible to everyone through learning how to create and remediate PDF files in this advanced computer-based course.
We’ll show you advanced accessibility techniques to remediate PDF documents without the need for access to a source file. On completion of the workshop, you’ll know how to create PDFs that are accessible to everyone.
Developed in accordance with WCAG 2.1 and best practices cultivated by our team of experts, this course supports inclusive design in alignment with the Australian Government’s Digital Service Standard.
Those with a working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat will gain the most from this course taught on PCs using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. Those who use a different version of Adobe Acrobat Pro (e.g. 10 or 11) and Mac users are encouraged to attend as the learning outcomes will be the same.
Our virtual training is live and interactive with an experienced instructor and runs as 2-hour sessions over 4 weeks.
Each attendee requires access to a desktop or laptop computer with a good internet connection and a headset or microphone and speakers. Instructions for Zoom will be sent with the invitation. You will receive a copy of the handbook and instructions via email before the first training session.
*Please Note: If you register to complete the Advanced Creating Accessible Documents: Adobe PDF training online, you will require Adobe Acrobat PDF (Pro DC) installed on your computer to participate in virtual training. If you do not have this already, you may be able to install a trial version (subject to the software owner’s agreement). Please bear this in mind when choosing to attend a virtual version of this training.
"The course was well presented, practical and covered a wide range of topics, giving participants a strong foundation in creating accessible documents. Well worth it." Brenda, Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission
"Thank you very much Alex and Vision Australia. I learnt so much from you and this course. I will pass this information and learnings on to my colleagues and encourage them to do the course." Alison EPA
Please follow the date links below to register for 2022 training:
Subscribe to our newsletter for training updates.
1. Background to document accessibility:
- How inaccessible documents affect different disability groups
- How people use assistive technologies to read the document content
- Australian legal requirements
- Applicability of WCAG 2.1 standards to electronic documents
2. Techniques for accessible PDF files:
- Create, modify and check tags
- Test and correct the reading order
- Check and correct text colour contrast
- Add text alternatives for images
- Tag headings and lists
- Tag simple and complex data tables and layout tables
- Add hyperlinks
- Add a table of contents
- Edit document properties
- Add bookmarks
3. Techniques for accessible forms:
- Associate fields with labels
- Test and modify the focus order
- Apply editing restrictions
4. Accessibility compliance verification:
- Accessibility checker
- Testing with assistive technologies
5. Do it yourself:
- Apply remediation and testing techniques to sample documents
Note: Techniques for source document creation are covered in Creating Accessible Documents: Advanced Microsoft Office.
We encourage you to have your own PDF documents to remediate in the ‘do it yourself session. Sample PDFs will also be provided.
You’ll receive a comprehensive digital manual containing:
- Step-by-step instructions on how to implement techniques using Adobe PDF Pro DC.
- The rationale for using specific techniques and positive impacts for the end-user.
- Explanations, examples, tips and tricks to help you apply accessible practices day-to-day.
- $595 including GST per registration
Group Discount (over four attendees)
- $535 including GST per registration
Phone: 1300 367 055
Email: [email protected]