Applications are now open
As of 1 July 2022, applications are now open for Vision Australia's Further Education Bursary 2023.
Each year, Vision Australia awards Further Education Bursaries to a select number of students who are blind or have low vision.
The bursaries provide adaptive technology to help the students fully participate and succeed in their chosen studies.
Assistive technology can eliminate barriers to education and enhance access to information. It enables students to read course material, conduct research and improve their student life.
Since the inception of the bursary scheme in 1996, more than 440 students have been supported in their further education journey.
Applications close strictly on 30 September 2022.
Ron Hooton, Vision Australia's Chief Executive Officer, explains more about the bursary program:
Students of any age can apply for a Vision Australia Further Education Bursary.
- Be blind or have low vision, that is not correctable by spectacles, contact lenses or other standard medical treatments
- Be or become, a client of Vision Australia
- Have a current (within the last 12 months) eye report on file with Vision Australia
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Be living or moving to Australia
- Be enrolling to study at an institution in Australia
- Be enrolling to study in at least Certificate IV or higher accredited courses including undergraduate and postgraduate degrees (not a Foundation or Enabling course) at the start of the year or be already enrolled in such a course (preference may be given to those in the early stages of a course). The course must have a minimum 12 months remaining from January 2022 for those already enrolled
- Be willing to be involved in publicity events and provide feedback and updated on their academic progress
The Bursary Committee will take the following criteria into consideration when making their selection, thus applicants are advised to address these factors in their application:
- Vision loss or deterioration as it relates to your work or educational history
- Reasoning behind course selection
- Career prospects on completion of course
Potential for success in chosen courses
- Level of achievement demonstrated in previous results
- Work experience
- Academic awards, prizes or acknowledgement
- Ability to successfully complete course
- Community service
- Volunteer work
- Raising a family
- Music involvements
- Sporting or other achievements
Demonstrated need for the equipment
- What, if any adaptive technology have you used in the past
- What, if any accommodations have you received (for example alternative format text)
- Justification of the need for any additional equipment beyond your current equipment
- Implications of not having the equipment
- Justification of the types of equipment and its benefits
How to apply
- Read Vision Australia Further Education Bursary Information 2023 (Word, 100KB)
- Contact Vision Australia's bursary staff member, Joy King, to screen for eligibility and arrange an Adaptive Technology Assessment (note: other assessments will not be accepted for bursary applications)
- Complete the 2023 Vision Australia Bursary Application form (Word, 101KB) and provide supporting documents
- Sign and submit the Vision Australia Bursary Declaration 2023 (Word, 80KB)
Application deadline is 30 September 2023.
Downloads for application:
- Vision Australia Further Education Bursary Information 2023 (Word, 100KB)
- Vision Australia 2023 Bursary Application form (Word, 101KB)
- Vision Australia Bursary Declaration 2023 (Word, 80KB)
- Vision Australia Bursary checklist 2023 (Word, 75KB)