As of August 1st, 2018, applications are now open for Vision Australia’s Further Education Bursary 2019
Each year, Vision Australia awards Further Education Bursaries to a select number of students who are blind or have low vision.
The bursaries provide adaptive technology to help the students fully participate and succeed in their chosen studies. Assistive technology can eliminate barriers to education and enhance access to information.
It enables students to read course material, conduct research and improve their student life.
Since the inception of the bursary scheme in 1996, over 370 students have been supported in their further education journey.
To learn more about the bursary program, watch this YouTube video, which features Vision Australia's chief executive officer, Ron Hooton.
Students of any age can apply for a Vision Australia Further Education Bursary.
- Be or become, a client of Vision Australia
- Have a current (within the last 12 months) eye report on file with Vision Australia
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Be enrolling to study at an institution in Australia
- Be enrolling to study in at least Certificate IV or higher accredited courses including undergraduate and postgraduate degrees (not a Foundation or Enabling course) at the start of the year or be already enrolled in such a course (preference may be given to those in the early stages of a course). The course must have a minimum 12 months remaining from January 2018 for those already enrolled
- Be willing to be involved in publicity events and provide feedback and updates on their academic progress
The Bursary Committee will take the following criteria into consideration when making their selection, thus Applicants are advised to address these factors in their application:
1. Vision History
- Vision loss or deterioration as it relates to your work or educational history.
2. Future goals
- Reasoning behind course selection
- Career prospects on completion of course.
3. Potential for success in chosen courses
- Level of achievement demonstrated in previous results
- Work experience
- Academic awards, prizes or acknowledgement
- Ability to successfully complete course.
4. Extra-curricular activities
- Community service
- Volunteer work
- Raising a family
- Music involvements
- Sporting or other achievements.
5. Demonstrated need for the equipment
- What if any adaptive technology have you used in the past
- What if any accommodations have you received (for example alternative format text)
- Justification of the need for any additional equipment beyond your current equipment
- Implications of not having the equipment
- Justification of the types of equipment and its benefits
How to Apply:
- Read Vision Australia Further Education Bursary Information 2019 (Word, 97kb)
- Contact bursary staff member Joy King (email@example.com), to screen for eligibility and arrange an Adaptive Technology Assessment (no other assessments will be accepted for bursary applications)
- Fill out 2019 Bursary Application form (Word, 97kb) and provide supporting documents
- Sign and submit Bursary Declaration 2019 (Word, 80kb)
- You can use the Bursary Checklist 2019 (Word, 75kb) to ensure you've completed all steps in the application
- The application deadline is the 31st of October 2018