Learn how to make your content accessible for people with disabilities. Get hands-on experience using simple tools to test content against the WCAG 2.1 standard. Suitable for web writers, editors, publishers and content managers.
The course modules are:
- About accessibility – how people with disabilities use the web, Australian law and policy on web accessibility, an overview of the documents and structure of WCAG 2.1
- Navigation –covers 2.4.2 Page titled, 2.4.4 Link purpose
- Structure – covers 1.3.1. Info and relationships, 2.4.6 Heading and labels
- Language – covers 3.1.2 Language of parts
- Images and colour – covers 1.1.1 Non-text content, 1.4.1 Use of colour, 1.4.3 Contrast, 1.4.5 Images of text, 1.4.11 Non-text contrast, 2.3.1 Three flashes or below threshold, 3.2.4 Consistent identification
- Instructions and errors – covers 1.3.3 Sensory characteristics, 3.3.1 Error identification, 3.3.2 Labels or instructions, 3.3.3 Error suggestions
- Audio and video – covers 1.1.1 Non-text content, 1.2.1 Audio-only and video-only, 1.2.2 Captions, 1.2.3 Audio description or media alternative, 1.2.5 Audio descriptions
- Documents – covers 1.3.2 Meaningful sequence, 2.1.1 Keyboard, 2.4.1 Bypass blocks, 3.1.1 Language of page, 3.2.2 On input, 3.2.3 Consistent navigation, 4.1.2 Name, role, value. Also discusses ‘accessibility supported’ technologies and the latest advice on using PDF and Word documents online.
During the course you’ll use a netbook we supply (shared with another participant), preloaded with accessibility testing software.
- Printed course notes which include handy checklists
- Access to download presentation slides (for personal use only)
- Loads of online resources (cheat sheets, tips sheets and more)
The course is facilitated by Dey Alexander, our training partner from 4 Syllables. Dey has over 20 years’ experience on web projects. Her current work is a mix of content strategy, user experience and inclusive design.
- This workshop really hit the nail on the head for me. I’ve tried to read the WCAG guidelines, but they’re really overwhelming. Nice to have someone explain it all.
- Essential information for any web writer or content owner. Should be a requirement of any web writing role to attend this course.
- An interesting and informative session. The presenter Dey provided a clear and comprehensive explanation of accessibility requirements and guidelines. (Penelope, DET).
- I really enjoyed this workshop and will definitely use what I learnt in my work.
- Really helped me to navigate WCAG and identify what was important to my role as a writer/editor.
2020 Course Dates and Registration
The course starts at 9.00am and finishes at 4.30pm.
From the list of locations below, click the date of the course you wish to attend. You will be redirected to our online registration page, which will provide venue details. Payment can be made online using a credit card (we will email you a tax receipt), or select ‘invoice’ to be invoiced directly from Vision Australia.
Cost and Inclusions
Prices listed are per person, including GST. Catering is provided.
- Early bird (registrations confirmed more than 21 days prior): $715
- Group rate (registrations for 4 people or more): $715
- Full price: $795
Phone: 1300 367 055